Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day 37

Mood: Slightly tired

Diet: water and protein shake so far

So yesterday I drove down the mountain to go sightseeing with my parents. In the afternoon, we stopped by Wal-mart and I bought a pedometer to track my distance on my run this morning. This morning I got up at 9:30am and decided it would be fun to run a couple of miles to see if my body could do it. So I planned my path, tied my pedometer to my shoelaces and went out for a run. Winter Valley Rd sounded like a good place to start so I started running, boy was I not prepared for the most grueling workout I have ever done in my life. It was horrible, painful, and filled with buckets of sweat. I started on winter valley rd and at about a mile into my jog/run I realized how stupid it was to forget water on my journey, which was the most dumb thing I have done in awhile. After a mile, I realized that Winter Valley Rd had such a steep elevation. I decided to embark on this journey anyways and literally wanted to collapse after I got to the summit. To run a mile and a half, it took me about 18 minutes because it was all uphill. People were driving by and staring at me like I was crazy.

At the top, I rested for about 1 minute. Then I decided to run back down the steep road. Omg the rush was incredible, I felt like I was going 30 mph down that slope. The air was so thin, I kept losing my breath but I pushed and pushed until I had traveled a good 2 and a quarter miles, I took another break of about a minute and a half. When I came back down, I noticed another rd that went uphill, so I said to myself why not I've accomplished so much why not more. The road's name was Alta Rd which in spanish means "tall", oh it was tall alright. After doing two uphill climbs jogging and two downhill sprints, I took another break, I had clocked a little over 3 miles at this point. I took another break and decided to head back to the condo I'm staying in throughout my vacation. I sprinted my fastest when I was on level ground and saw a trail that led right to the end point of my run, so I continued running/jogging all the way back finishing the last half mile with my fastest sprint.

Total distance about 4.1 miles according to my pedometer.

Total calories burned-- don't know

In the evening, I plan to do a couple hundred push ups with a 20 pound weight on my back plus work my shoulders and traps.

p.s. Oh yeah I forgot on my run there was an elk about 15 feet away from me as I was going downhill, he looked at me as he was chowing down on some delicious grass. I said what's up, but he must have been hungry because he didn't pay any attention to me. He was a nice elk though, not one of those that charge people :)

2 comments:

jk said...

You should remember this day, for when you don't feel like doing more one day in the future, just remember that you can do it, and you did do it!

Jeremy said...

haha,

You said wassup to an elk ?

Must have been a cutie

:-)

Keep it up bro -- you might win the best after all.

--Jay